May 30, 2008

Episode 4.177: I'm Sorry Mr. Kubrick

"So what, you need an audience in order to continue creating? How can you call yourself an artist? Or do you? Maybe you're just another hollywood capitalist pupa, waiting to morph into a real spewer of consumer tripe. Create to create, not to be aggrandized. Are them fighten words? Maybe, pussy, you decide."

Whoa! The only reason I ended that post the way I did was because I wasn't creating. I was falling into the whole "day in the life of" web blogger cliche without any real reflection or stupid commentary. something I never wanted to do in the first place:

http://operationkilldie.blogspot.com/2004/12/episode-3-excuse-me.html

I left it because I knew mom at least would enjoy reading, but really..i was just repeating myself and all I wanted was to post one of the stories I'd been writing for class. I agree with you entirely. Create to create. Publish bullshit opinions online to interact. Which brings me to:

"Say what you will about Kubrick, he is an intelligent artist. He always has a message, is it a painfully boring pursuit to find out what it may be? sometimes, but it is generally relevant, poignant, and usually timeless."

I don't think I ever said anything to discredit Stanley Kubrick as an amazing artist. That would be silly of me. the post was about me watching the entire, slow moving, 2 and half hour 2001: A Space Odyssey before class only to realize that we would most likely watch it in class again...as we did. Therefore, I spent 6 hours out of 12 watching a the same Stanley Kubrick movie, twice. That's just funny. Honestly, Kubrick's ability to establish incredible mood and create immortal scenes floors me. For example the hallway tricycle scene in the shining and the destruction of HAL. I love it. As for:

"Note to humanity: if they ever release a Stanley Kubrick Director's Cut of something, run like the very whips of you masters are behind."

I mean come on! Think about it! However, if you're willing to watch something that would most likely be 16 hours long, I commend you.

Lastly: Thank you. Finally something I can work with on the website. I haven't even been back to the thing since i created, probably because there is nothing there to keep me or anyone coming back. Initially I was against posting any writing on that site, which is why you wont' find any links to this blog. but i do enjoy writing tremendously, so it makes sense that in order for the site to represent me, it would need something of that form. I have no idea what, though.



It's so true, it's scary. I came home from class on tuesday to find two wrapped presents on our coffee table. One of which was from kelsey, the other we had no idea who it was from. But kelsey wrapped it anyway. It could have been a box of vitamins, and kelsey would have wrapped it. so...we opened the unknown box first to find the first season of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Beneath that was teh second season, then the third..the fourth, and finally at the bottom, the fifth season. Only one person could be responsible for such a gift, and that would Ms. DeAnna Kelso Pappin. Innocently, we put in the first disc of season one and popped some popcorn, getting comfortable in our living room...only to be immediately uncomfortable. By the end of the first episode, I was facing the wrong way on the couch with my face shoved into a pillow, and kelsey might have been crying...but we couldn't tell. Our Larry David virginity had been brutally taken from us, leaving us a terrible, helpless mess. That was the only episode we could watch that day. Now that I've built up a relative tolerance, I'm hooked. It's like those nightmares where you know something bad is going to happen, like when your friend from middle school's dad is about to impale a kitten with pitchfork (true story), and you CAN'T LOOK WAY. In order to survive, I pause the episodes A LOT. Once, I paused 4 times in order to make it through a 45 second scene.

The great thing is how realistic it really is. It's not Michael Scott, who is too stupid to realized what he's done...Larry David is constantly incredibly embarrassed with himself and can't get over something he's done...which usually results in it coming and biting him hard in the ass...been there, done that.

Thank you, Annie. I'm sure it's going to help me become a better person.

Next, I opened Kelsey's "main gift". She had already given me

  • A pocket watch with my initials engraved on the cover. Which is great, because I've always wanted another pocket watch since my last one mysteriously stopped working.
  • A wall clock with a biohazard symbol in the background. (apparently time is going to become very important in my life)
  • A journal with my name engraved on the cover (as well as personalized items)
I unwrapped the unbelievably heavy box to find:

my masculinity multiplied by 21. One time for each james bond movie in this ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S SET. Thats over 43 hours of non-stop awesome. Each one is digitally remastered frame by frame and includes DTS 5.1 surround sound. Once upon a time i was raving about the difference between RCA audio and Optical audio...now it's all sound vs. DTS sound. When it comes to High Definition, the difference between standard and hd visuals is nice..but it can't stand up to the difference between standard and HD sound. Each level of sound is an upgrade in clarity and detail that you would never know you were missing without correct equipment. with visual, you know you're missing something, its obvious, but with sound you don't know it until you hear it. A helicopter could land in front of you and explode, but you'd still hear the lady bug chewing on the blade of grass in the corner of the screen. Thats a lie. but it gives you a good idea.


The only negative side effect is that i can't stop whistling the james bond theme song, which is causing kelsey to literally hate me.

And thats not all! My dad's birthday present to me was the ENTIRE LIVING DEAD series! Thanks dad!




I'm sure my dad is infinitely proud that his birthday money for me was able to purchase the greatest zombie collection ever. Don't worry though, you also got me a great leather key wallet. Yay!

This is the second time i've written this entire post, since the first draft got lost. Now, it's time for dinner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

10 badasses. fictional
10.Jules Winnfield
9.Clarence Worley
8.Sailor Ripley
7.Nikolai
6.The Punisher(comic)
5.Paul Muad'Dib
4.Gandolf
3.William "Bill" Munny
2.Jesse Custer
1.Panom Yeerum

10. Badasses, nonfiction
10.Larry Flint
9.Thomas Jefferson
8.Nikola Tesla
7.Marlon Brando
6.Rob Roy Mcgreggor
5.Julius Caeser
4.Chen Fake
3.Sun Tzu
2.Rama
1.me

ColonelKillDie said...

Bill Munny totally almost made it onto my list, but he summed up to be an alcoholic. as well as Jules Winnfield...i am very impressed that a character played by Christian Slater made your top ten...i don't understand why Panom Yeerum is a fictional character, though....or why you can't just call him Tony Jaa...

Anonymous said...

James Bond is an alcoholic as is Wolverine. How do you figure that Jules is? He obviously likes dope per the discussion at the beginning of the film, but I don't remember anything about booze. Clarence was awesome. As for Tony Jaa, I should have used the name Ting for his character in Ong Bak. For all I know the real Tony Jaa is a total geek he just moves well and is in perfect physical condition, until I see evidence other wise I can't in good conscience promote an actor to the statehood of 'badass'

ColonelKillDie said...

yeah, i re-read that and noticed that it looked like i said jules was an alcoholic as well...i didn't mean that...i just meant jules almost made it onto my list.

Plus, neither james bond or wolverine need the whiskey like Munny does in order to be badass. Munny said it himself over and over whenever they talked about how bad he was, he just credited the whiskey..then at the end, he downs the whiskey upon hearing of Freemans death, and goes to town, literally. Not that i didn't think it was an incredibly bad ass scene...

and ting is very badass...