May 6, 2008

episode 4.100: And So It Begins

My first class today. Creative Writing. We'll get to that later.

We went into a K-Mart yesterday...holy shit. I thought i was going to be arrested for just going in there. I relate most anything down here to the ghetto. Like, "oh wow, that starbucks is ghetto" even though starbucks is as far a thing from being ghetto as i am. but i mean it when i say that this Big K-Mart was ghetto, even though IT was probably as ghetto as michael jackson's local K-mart...i don't deny my level of naiveness.


"Tell us examples! Tell us examples!"

Oh, I'll feed you baby birds. First things first: we walk in and i go straight to the map at the very front. "how convenient" i thought. No. Not a convenience. A necessity. The ceilings are a lofty 9 feet from the floor, which leaves absolutely no room for signs directing you to your department of choice. It also enhances the overwhelming maze feeling of a super wal-mart, except without any hopes of escape. I probably should have asked for a hard copy map to take with me. Or perhaps a radio. A couple of smoke flares would have been really nice. Among other things:

Kelsey finds her department: Do It Yourself for some fabrics so that she can sew something for my new harddrive. Lucky for me, it's right next to Electronics...my department. So we shuffled our way through the aisles to the back and i came across the videogame console demos. You know, the cool TVs with the Ps3 or xbox 360 hooked up to them?
yeah. they had a Gamecube. Playing the Star Fox Assault Demo. Star Fox Assault's release date? February 15, 2005. Awesome.

In fact, i think everything on their shelves has been there at LEAST 3 years. It will be a great place to go to study the trends of 2005. Maybe time actually stopped in that kmart. I could make millions. Imagine: A store forever trapped in the year 2005. If you ask the employees how long they've worked there they'd probably all give you a negative number. Live tours. Screw Full Sail. This K-Mart paradox is my calling. sorry, mom and dad.


Ok. So, my first day at Full Sail. First impressions? School. Yup. I said it. Its exactly like every other college class I've ever taken except for the fact that i have a 3000 dollar computer in front of me. Oh, and most of the class is revolved around talking about movies. The ones that came up the most? Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Don't get me wrong, I love those movies...but seriously? Is that it? Is that all you got? The closest we got to something remotely worth revolving a class lecture around was Memento. And even then, that faces me towards a bleak horizon. Other movies that came up were: I Am Legend, Assault on Precinct 13, The Matrix, with brief dips into TV series gold, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Alias. Gulp.

However, don't take this as i didn't enjoy my first day. I am surrounded by people who love the same stuff i do. And i am taking a class that again, revolves around talking about movies. Thats awesome. And today was only a lecture on Heroes. So overall: Pretty damn cool.

Another thing. I think i'm the only dude who even touched his Macbook Pro in the 4 days that we had them before class. Does that mean they all have more friends than me? and i'm probably boring my girlfriend to death? uh oh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

and your second day? I am going to bet this experience will outshine U of I student experiences by far. remember to send some of your writing projects along home to Ma.

kelsey rae said...

if i die here in Florida, the chance that the cause of death will be boredom is slim to none. the things i feel i really have to watch my 6 for is the black holes that exist randomly in this city (take k-mart, for example), and thus falling into a time period before 1985 and somehow altering the course of time and undoing my existence all together, and melting to the seat of your Camry on my way to work or grocery shopping, and then drowning in moisture-laden air... i have bigger fish to fry pappin, so you just keep on working ;) xoxo